Thursday 26 December 2019

JEEP COMPASS VARIANTS - HOW I CHOSE MINE


After a lot of deliberation, test-drives and comparisons, I decided to buy the Jeep Compass. Read my previous blog now why I chose the Jeep Compass over the MG Hector or the Tata Harrier by clicking here.

Now, coming to the next question. Which model of Jeep Compass should I buy? Jeep offers a plethora of choices. The line-up start from the base variant Sport. This is followed by Sport Plus, Longitude, Limited and the newly launched Limited Plus variant. Additionally, Limited variant also has an additional upgrade called 'Option', which adds some additional features. So many choices boggle the mind.

I would need to consider my budget, differences between the variants, my absolute no-compromise features required etc. in order to zero down on my choice.

I was clear about buying a diesel variant only. I preferred an automatic transmission. But in the diesel powertrain, Jeep currently offers auto transmission only in Trailhawk model (I am told that automatic transmission will be available in other variants too.. but not as of the time of writing this blog). The Trailhawk variant was way out of my budget and so I settled for a manual transmission (This wasn't a deal breaker for me).

To make my decision-making simpler, I listed my priorities in order of importance as follows:

Priority # 1 -  Safety 
I was upgrading from my 2011 Toyota Innova mainly because it had no airbags, ABS and other safety features. This point is a non-compromise issue.

Priority # 2 - Drivability & Power 
Road trips are my passion... as you would know if you have gone through some of my other blogs. So having a good drivable and handling car is important.


Priority # 3 - Comfort
Long drives require good comfort. The suspension, seating comfort, ari-conditioning, headroom and overall fit and finish of the car needs to be plush and upscale.


Priority # 4 - Features
Basic features are needed in every car. But in the race to be different, all car companies are offering many useless and gimmicky features. I consciously decided to ignore features which will become boring in a few days and which add no value in the ownership experience. Some of these included voice activated commands, touch-less boot opener etc.

Looking at the above priorities, especially the safety, I decided to narrow down my decision to the 2 top-most models of the Jeep i.e. Limited or Limited Plus.

The diesel powertrain for all models is the same. It is a 1956 CC 2.0L Multijet II Turbo Diesel churning out 171 BHP@3750 rpm. I found the engine to be very refined and more than capable in terms of power. I am not a very aggressive driver and this engine is good enough to allow quick overtakes and also enjoy the drive in city or over long distances.

Now let's compare the important differences between the 02 variants, based on my priorities:


VARIANT
LIMITED PLUS
LIMITED
PRIORITY NO. 1 - SAFETY
AIRBAGS
6
2 front airbags, 
2 seat-mounted side airbags for front occupants and 
2 full-length side curtains for front and rear passengers
2
Driver and front passenger airbags only
HEADLIGHTS
Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
Quad Halogen
Headlamps
WHEELS
18”
I put these into safety as having bigger wheels helps in better traction and slightly better ground clearance too.

17”
Other safety features such as ABS with EBD, Traction Control, ESC, Hill start assist etc. are standard in both variants
PRIORITY NO. 2 - DRIVABILITY & POWER
Having bigger 18” wheels helps the Limited Plus with – 

  • Better grip. 
  • Wheels with lower side wall tend to provide sharper performance and better handling.
  • Bigger wheels weight more, providing more stability. 

Having the same engine, both variants are equal in terms of power delivery, pick-up etc. 

PRIORITY NO. 3 - COMFORT
DRIVER SEAT
8-way power adjustable with 4-way power lumbar support
function and it also has memory function where 2 seat preferences can be saved
INFOTAINMENT SCREEN
8.4” screen 
with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
7” Screen
DRIVER INFORMATION DISPAY
Customisable 3.5” 
driver information display in dashboard

PRIORITY NO. 4 - FEATURES
SUNROOF
Dual-pane panoramic sunroof. This means that half roof opens up as a sunroof whereas the other half also is see-through. So all passengers can enjoy the view.
Not available
IVRM
Auto-dimming
Manual
HEADLAMPS
Auto
Manual
WIPERS
Rain-sensing wipers with 2 auto settings
Manual with intermittent option
ALLOYS
Dual Tone 
Aluminium Alloy Wheels, with polished grey surface
Aluminium alloys in fine silver colour


The price difference between the two variants is approx. Rs. 150000. 

Based on the above comparison, I decided to purchase the Limited Plus version. Safety being my No. 1 priority, 6 airbags in Limited Plus variant vs 2 airbags of Limited variant was a very big advantage. Fun features such as panoramic 
sunroof (most attractive feature for my son), bigger infotainment screen, automatic headlights and wipers etc. are cherries on  top the cake.

So on August 14, 2019.. I took delivery of my Jeep Compass Limited Plus in minimal grey with black roof colour.

My mother performing the puja at time of new vehicle delivery

I hope that my research will make it easier for you to decide on your preferred Jeep Compass variant. You can visit Jeep India website www.jeep-india.com for more information & details. Keep reading my blog as I share my experience of owning the Jeep Compass.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Congratulations for Jeep. May I know if you encountered any other issues and whats the average service cost so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geet. I have now completed 1 year with my JC, without any problems with the vehicle. Read my blog on 1 year ownership experience and service details at https://www.thedrivingaddict.com/2020/09/first-year-ownership-review-of-the-jeep-compass/. Thanks 😊

      Delete